Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hard Week

J and his teacher and my friend, Mary



About 10 years ago, I had to teach a 2nd/3rd grade spilt class. This is not easy. So to help with this my principal hired a part time teacher who taught math and science to the second graders in the afternoon. Her name is Mary. The following year, Mary was hired full time at my school and has been there since. She is older than me by more than 10 years but we have formed a sister-like bond. She came to the hospital when Miss M was born, she calls me (and I call her) all of the time. We became close friends.
Last year, J was put in her first grade class and this year she moved up with him to teach 2nd grade. She is the best teacher! All of the kids love her. Everyone loves her.
In April, her husband was diagnosed with a virus that was hardening his kidney from the inside. Through the past few months, he has been ill, but holding on. He was approved on January 10, 2012 to get a kidney transplant, after MONTHS of testing, setbacks and issues. His sister was to be his live donor. Through this hardship, Mary kept going. She went with Steve to every doctor visit, hospital stay, etc. She is a rock. We prayed together, cried together knowing that on February 20th, her "old" Steve would be back. A new kidney. A new chance .

This past Tuesday, Steve suffered a massive heart attack and died. They believe it all is related to his kidney issues. I had taken off that day for a doctor visit and afterward, when I talked to Mary, she told me that he was on life support and had no brain activity. They were taking him off of it as soon as his family arrived. She told me to come to the hospital. I sat with my friend as she lost the love of her life, her best friend. I sat next to Connor, their 17 year old son, who looked at me with sadness in his eyes and asked me, "So what do we do now?" I held my friend who just sobbed.
As I said, it has been a hard week.
I went back to work on Wednesday where we were a school in mourning. Mourning the loss of Steve, grieving for our dear friend. I cried all day. I asked God WHY??? Why Steve?? 13 days till his transplant? How can he allow this to happen to my friend?
I attended the viewings, and yesterday, the funeral. Mary spoke--the most eloquent words. Words filled with love, sadness, and of course, humor. Oh yes, Mary is a funny one. Humor is how she copes. We cried and laughed together.
I guess the reason I am sharing this with you is so you can pray for Mary and Connor. Pray for peace, understanding, strength. I know God has a plan, although we don't know what it is yet. I know that Steve's passing is part of it, but Why? I appreciate your prayers.

No comments: