We had an earthquake today. Never would I think those words would come out of my mouth. ever. really....
But we did. In Virginia, a 5.6 earthquake. I was in my classroom sitting at my desk talking to my coworker. I felt like I was shaking on my chair, but my coworker kept talking. Was I getting dizzy? Was the custodian moving larger furniture in the hallway? Was I imagining something? Then, my CW noticed the overhead TV shaking...I yelled GET OUT OF HERE! Apparently I pushed he towards the door but I don't remember. We were all standing in the hallway and people were yelling to get into the hallway. We still weren't sure what in the world was happening. Then the principal said on the speaker- :EVERYONE- GET OUT OF THE BUILDING!" I grabbed my purse and out I ran! I was shaking, my heart beating so fast. My CW was hugging me because she said I have such good instincts that I pushed her towards the door. We all met in front of the school and did a headcount. Only one guy had a phone with Internet and that is when we found out that it was, indeed an earthquake. Holy Moley.....a real Honest to Goodness earthquake.....here....
It took me about 15 minutes (which seemed like an hour) to reach my home via the phone. Everyone was OK...no damage.....It took almost an hour to locate everyone in the family but everyone is OK. We were allowed`to go home so I did. Of course, tonight was "Meet the Teacher" night at school so I had to go back. I wasn't happy about that but I didn't have a choice.
I am praying that this experience with an earthquake will be my LAST!
1 comment:
I was thinking about you last night. I wanted to call & check on you but had Back to School night followed by a meeting so I ran out of time. Glad you & the fam are okay.
We had a small earthquake when we lived in IL. It was in the middle of the night so all I remember is waking up & wondering how Jason could be shaking the bed so much.
Post a Comment