I have spent a lot of my free hours the past few weeks sorting through clothing, mostly Miss M's baby stuff and I was Shocked at how many things still had tags or had never been worn. I decided to make a list of how to shop for a baby gift. People are NOT practical when they buy baby things and practical is what we need so here it goes....
1. Do not buy dresses for ages 0-6 months. Chances are, the baby will never wear the dress.
2. Please buy sleepers.
3. When you buy sleepers, make sure they have feet in them.
4. When you buy sleepers, make sure they have NO COLLAR. Collars get in the way, collect spit up and drool.
5. When you buy sleepers, make sure they have easy snaps or better yet, a zipper. No buttons.
6. Do not buy shoes for a baby. I have four pairs of shoes that were given to me because the original owner never used them, and Miss M only wore one pair, for her Easter outfit. They stayed on for the 3 minutes it took to take a picture.
7. There should be no need to buy socks for a baby 0-6 months if you abide by #3.
8. No matter how cute, adorable, beautiful and angelic an outfit is, if it had more than two pieces, refer to rule #2. IF it is too hard to put on a baby, chances are it will never get worn.
9. IF you are shopping for a shower, try to buy clothing items in bigger sizes. People tend to get a lot of 0-3 and 3-6 month clothing but then they baby hits 7 months and has no clothing.
10. Don't buy bottles, pacifiers, etc. Chances are the baby will hate all of the the ones that mom has for her and spend a small fortune finding the right one. (I know this from experience.)
11.Blankets are a nice gift but chances are, they won't all get used. I'd stick with a hoodie towel instead!
12. Baby wash is always good. Especially the ones that smell so nice. (But don't they all?)
13. ALWAYS provide the gift slip for any gift you buy.
14. When all else fails, gift cards are heaven sent. My coworkers gave me a gift card for Miss M and it bought diapers for a month!
Of course, we are always appreciative for gift that people give to our little ones, but being practical saves everyone a return trip!
Now, I am going to go back in M's room and continue sorting clothing that is brand new!
No comments:
Post a Comment