Sunday, September 7, 2008
Bad mom?
I feel like a heel. We decided that instead of getting new furniture for the baby, we would buy J new bunkbeds. We took him to the store and he was sooooo excited. He has been talking about it and could not wait for the bunkbeds to come in. Well, they are arriving Monday and so this weekend, we had to clear out his room, put his furniture in the other bedroom for the baby, and clean his room really well before the new stuff arrives. So we moved out everything but his bed and night table. Well, poor littel guy, he cried all evening. He doesn't want a new bed. He doesn't want the new baby to have his furniture. He wants his stuff back. He cried himself to sleep last night despite Paul and I talking to him. He woke up at 4 Am, came into my room and said he wanted to sleep in our room. This morning, he said they same thing, that he wanted his stuff in his room. I feel like a shmuck! If he is freaking out over furniture, how will he react to the baby? I am praying that once he gets the furniture tomorrow, he will forget his sadness. I know that it has been an emotional weekend for me with dad having the surgery, but my boy crying (and this is not crying like a spoiled brad-crying, but real sadness and confusion) is killing me! Am I overreaccting?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know what you mean. I was really worried about Cole going through a lot of jealousy when Tate was born. Good news, they do adjust. Granted he was too young to understand any of it or remember what life was like before. It may be tough for a while, but he'll adjust. Hopefully if you make a big deal out of his new furniture, he'll get excited and forget about the old stuff. I think you just have to talk up the new baby and get him excited. We found a book called I'm a Big Brother by Ronne Randall. I'm sure there are tons of books like that out, but maybe those might help Jake see what's up ahead! Good luck.
It sounds like he did end up being excited about his new bunk beds! The whole new baby thing is always going to be a little stressful and I think it's probably a little harder when they're older because they actually understand the monumental event that's about to take place. But he will be a great big brother!
Post a Comment