Sunday, June 29, 2008
Separation
I have worked full time all of J's life. Being a teacher, I am lucky to have off all holidays and so it is an ideal job to have when having a child. To top it off, Paul and I have a schedule where J is in very minimal daycare so he is usually home with one of us. So I have had off about 2 weeks before Summer school started. There were a few occasions in those 2 weeks where my m-in-law watched J for a few hours, which happens frequently, as she watched him one afternoon per week during the school year. Well, all of a sudden, J is crazy about being home without me or Paul. He is so worried about going to daycare, or having someone else watch him. It is weird. The only thing I can figure is that I was home for over 2 weeks and he just got super-used to me being home and he hates to see me go. I told him today that I have to work tomorrow and he was crazy asking questions....Who was coming over? Did mom-mom have to come? I explained that I will be home before dad goes to work and that I am only working 1/2 day. But he keeps asking questions. I am sort-of glad to go back to work so J gets used to "real-life". I didn't think kids at his age got like this but here we are! Anyone with a 4 year old, have you dealt with this?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Luke is only three but if I am home for a few days in a row then have tot go to work he will say "Mommy don't leave me!". I think sometimes they just need to know we are coming back ; ) They know how crazy they drive us!
If I didn't know any better, I'd think Gavin & Jacob were separated at birth. Living with Gavin means constantly battling his paranoia. It's not just thunderstorm's, he can't handle separations very well either. Jason took the boys to camp this weekend & Gavin didn't want to go after he discovered I wasn't going along. Then he completely fell apart when I told him I was going away for a few days in 2 weeks.
I'm hoping it's a 4-thing. My ace is that I'll tell him 5 yr olds aren't scared of storms, being downstairs alone, going places without me, the list goes on & on. It worked for my friend Julie ;-)
If you find anything that works, pass it on, please?!!
Post a Comment